JACKIE BOOKMAN, MS, MSW, LMSW
Jackie Bookman is experienced in working with children, adolescents, adults, and families. She has provided individual, family, and group therapy to individuals from diverse populations and with a variety of behavioral and mood challenges. She is well-versed in working with people of all ages and life experiences, including difficulties in coping with depression and anxiety, stress, pain, loss, lack of motivation, adjustment, life transitions, and trauma.
Prior to becoming a therapist, Jackie conducted research and evaluation studies in education, health, and youth development that were aimed at informing practice and enhancing the lives of children and youth. While her work as a researcher was informative and beneficial to society at-large, she found herself wanting to be able to make more of a direct impact on the lives of others and decided to pursue a Master’s degree in Social Work. She now blends her two passions by continuing to use her analytical skills in a clinical setting while incorporating data informed, evidence-based practices into her work with clients.
Her overarching priority for therapy is to establish a nurturing therapeutic relationship based on trust, comfort, and empowerment. Her greatest hope for her clients is that they find effective coping skills to become the best versions of themselves and have healthy, satisfying relationships, and for children, adolescents, and their families to feel happy and whole. She recognizes that there is no one-size-fits-all model for therapy and draws from a variety of therapeutic approaches, including cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness, in order to best meet a person’s needs and goals. As a therapist her style is warm, conversational, and supportive, with a focus on building upon strengths and fostering personal growth. In her work with children, she focuses on helping them to name and express their emotions in a healthy way while also involving parents to ensure the family system is functioning optimally.
In couples counseling she uses techniques from the Gottman method as she is trained in this evidence based program for relationship enhancement.
Jackie is licensed in the state of Maryland, and is an out-of-state Telehealth provider in Florida.
Education and Certifications:
- Master of Social Work (MSW): University of Maryland Baltimore, School of Social Work
- Master of Science (MS) in Statistics, Measurement, Assessment, and Research Technology: University of Pennsylvania, Graduate School of Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology: Muhlenberg College
- Children, parents, and families
- Anxiety and depression
- Neuro-diverse individuals, autism spectrum related concerns
- Stress management
- Communication skills
- Adjustment and life transitions
- Prenatal and postpartum wellness
- Work and career
- Personal awareness and growth
- Grief and loss
- Trauma and PTSD
Workshops, Presentations, and Groups:
- Emotion Coaching: Training for parents to develop children's emotional intelligence and resilience
- College Interrupted: Emotional support for college students whose educational experience is disrupted by Covid-19
- 2020 Group Facilitator for The National Institute of Health (NIH) Office of Intramural Training and Education