Kat McGrady, ED.D, LCPC, NCC
Kat McGrady Ed.D, LCPC, NCC is a licensed professional counselor at Sequence. Using an integrative, solution-focused approach, Dr. Kat McGrady provides individual, family, couples therapy to children, teens and adults through remote teletherapy methods.
After many years working as a teacher, school counselor and child therapist she also offers remote parent coaching. Her style is warm, gracious and caring, as she quickly establishes a connection and listens deeply to what issues may be the source of difficulty. Her thoughtful assessments and use of multiple strategies offer support and direction to each individual or family she works with. Dr. McGrady believes in an authentic and collaborative approach. With compassion, an open mind and creative care, she creates positive therapeutic change for those she serves.
Well versed in the public education system and child development and strongly connected to the Montgomery County School system for elementary education, Dr. McGrady offers consultations around special education services, classroom accommodations and strengthening the home-school connection to best support student's success.
Dr. McGrady is a native of Maryland, but rode out much of the pandemic in beautiful Vermont, and now resides in Northern Virginia. She continues her work with Sequence via teletherapy, and will arrange in-person check-ins with clients local to the Greater Washington DC area. This can be at the Sequence offices or at a park for younger clients or an outdoor walk for older adolescents and adults. She serves as an adjunct professor for online classes and adviser at the Johns Hopkins School of Education. Throughout the year she offers online workshops for the Sequence Institute, and in-person training events and workshops twice a year at the Silver Spring classroom. Dr. McGrady also is a clinical supervisor in Maryland for counselors seeking licensure.
Kat is licensed in Maryland and Virginia, and is a rostered psychotherapist offering teletherapy in Florida and Vermont.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor of Science, Elementary Education with a Minor in History, Salisbury University
- Master of Science, Counseling, Johns Hopkins University
- Post-Master's Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Johns Hopkins University
- Doctorate of Education, Johns Hopkins University
- Maryland Teacher Certification in ( PK-8)
- Maryland School Counseling Certification ( PK-12
- Maryland Pupil Personnel Worker Certification
- National Certified Counselor (NCC) Certification
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Children and Teens
- Gottman Couples Therapy Level 1
Areas of Treatment Focus:
- Anxiety, Depression, Emotional regulation
- ADHD, Self Esteem, Communication & Assertiveness Skills
- Parenting, Relationship Concerns
- Divorce and/or Family Conflict
- School Related Issues
Presentations, Facilitation, & Workshops
Childhood Trauma, Resiliency, and Compassion Fatigue - Virtual ASWB ACE approved CE for 3 Clinical Credits - October 28th, 2022 from 9:00am-12:10pm - Register today!
Cultural Proficiency, Annual Conference of the Maryland Counseling Association
2020 Group Facilitator for The National Institute of Health (NIH) Office of Intramural Training and Education
Contracted Mentor and Small Group Facilitator, National Institute of Health-OITE
- Mentor faculty at higher education institutes nationwide on their facilitation of small groups with students, trainees, researchers, and other affiliated persons on topics surrounding mental health in school, the lab, and in science
- Facilitate small group discussions with NIH employees, trainees, researchers, scientists, and other faculty on topics including:
- Resiliency, emotional intelligence, implicit biases, diversity and inclusion, communication, assertiveness
Mindfulness Hour For Parents: https://mindfulness-hour-for-parents.eventbrite.com
Building Resiliency in Children
Pending Publications include: Seeds of Resiliency: Harvesting Resiliency and Well-Being in the Face of Adversity and Trauma and Toolkit for Professionals Working with Exceptional Youth and Adolescent
Boys Town Press's Online Store: The Magic of Stories
- Member of the Association of School Counselors
- Member of Chi Sigma Iota International Counseling Honors Society